Monday, October 1, 2007

Its true that I was hit over the head by falling wookie mug.

And then it broke and I felt a small sense of justice. But I've had a headache ever since. I guess there were a number of things that I wanted to write about in this blog this week.

I saw a documentary about a crazy violinist - Nadja Solema Sonnenberg. She wasn't cool. She had a lot of ego, but she reminded me of the discussion we had about becoming too entangled in your work. She couldn't step away from the emotions she had to use on stage. Ultimately, she didn't have much of a life because she was too intense to deal with other people.

But they talked about something else which I thought was interesting. A critic of hers was talking about how he was upset that she struggles with the composer instead of becoming a speaker for the composer. I wonder if attitudes like this are the reason that nobody cares about classical music anymore. How does a young woman living in New York today become the true interpretor for Tchaikovsky or Ravel? If people go to see a symphony perform a static version of a piece played exactly the way a composer notated it, then why have the artists at all? Just get computers to play the parts. They are advanced enough, and that would eliminate all the pesky ideas and emotions that an artist brings with themselves into a piece.

And also, I don't like people who try to play honest and revealing music while wearing costumes. But an old friend of mine sent my band her music and she has a song that takes place about the time she and I were close. Its really strange to hear her intimate version of a story that I was there to see. My version is completely different.

No comments: